This educational program is for kindergarten teachers who want to integrate Mathematics into preschool in an innovative different way.
The importance of planning and implementing educational interventions at the kindergarten level based on the subject of mathematics is emphasized in the international literature as many of the mathematical concepts are formed and developed already from preschool age. Listing small quantities, sorting and grouping objects based on a specific feature, recognizing basic geometric shapes are some of the concepts that can be understood through educational activities that make sense to children. Mathematics education should therefore highlight the innate tendency of children to develop mathematical thinking while playing.
In this educational program, the teaching of mathematical concepts is proposed to be done by utilizing the programmed game Beebot. Through playful activities and rich educational material, help young students get to know and love the world of Mathematics.
With the proposed educational program your students will gain knowledge from various fields of knowledge:
- Language: Development of oral speech, description of objects based on specific criteria, understanding of instructions and rules of games, explanation and analysis, acquaintance with letters.
- Mathematics: Contact with pre-mathematical and spatio-temporal concepts, organization of knowledge about numbers, execution of simple mathematical operations, measurement with arbitrary or conventional units of measurement.
- Anthropogenic Environment: Cultivation of skills such as self-esteem, collaboration, recognition of the relationship between science and everyday life, understanding the chronology of events, familiarity with basic research processes
- Physical Environment:Recognition of the structure and properties of materials and the usefulness of certain tools and instruments for the collection of information, orientation in relation to fixed reference points, mapping of space and recording of movements and routes Creation and expression.
- Creation and expression: Observation and interpretation of the natural and man-made environment in many ways and using a variety of materials, design of lines and contours, synthesis of shapes and forms, development of positive attitudes for cooperation, mutual acceptance and support.
- Informatics: Familiarity with Beebot programming game, learning basic programming concepts, acquiring algorithmic thinking.
Topic 1: Mathematics education in kindergarten
Topic 2: The training material – the beebot bee
Topic 3: Pre-mathematical and spatio-temporal concepts, numbers
Topic 4: Simple operations, symmetry, area and volume